Wednesday, 29 June 2016

The Music in the Charts is Rubbish


What happened to music? Or more specifically, what happened to the music in the charts? Every time I turn on Radio1, they are always playing the same sort of song which usually has some singer who can't really sing going on about sex or having big buttocks or something. And the beat and tune of the song nearly always sounds generic and repetitive.

And furthermore, some people seem to actually like or in some cases love this type of music. It really does amaze me how some people can listen to artists like Justin Beiber, Ariana Grande, Nikki Minage, Nick Jonas or Drake without their ears physically feeling as sore as a thousand blisters.

And the sad thing about this is that I know these artists because they have got famous and are now probably stinking rich. Why have they got famous? Because people with bad music taste actually listen to their music. Do these people not know about other artists who are so much better? Or do they just want to be 'cool' and listen to these artists because they seem to be what we should be listening to because they are on Radio 1 and in the charts?
Today's chart music...

As the picture above demonstrates, the current music in the charts is all a bit 'samey'; they all have the generic beat and the same sort of lyrics... nothing about these songs makes me want to listen to them. I know all music in the charts isn't bad. Some is OK and in some rare cases I actually end up liking a song in the charts. I tend to particularly enjoy rock music but unfortunately for me there's not a lot of rock music being played on mainstream radio or in the charts. I never hear any good guitar riffs on Radio 1. But obviously, this is probably because the mainstream radios and i.e. MTV focus mainly on pop music because as the name suggests, it is popular and current. There are many great current rock songs out there but they are not as popular because it's simply not pop.

The thing that annoys me the most is the songs which have lyrics so rubbish they could have been written by a toddler. The ones where the singer who can't really sing repeats a single word over and over, for example, the repeating of the word 'baby' or 'oooh' if that is even a word. And the songs that don't have the usual repetitiveness have lyrics that sexualize young girls or talk about sexual relationships, drugs or body image. It used to be the case that most music in the charts were about world peace etc or had lyrics which were more abstract and thought- provoking. Maybe most of my generation is just stupid so they listen to songs with stupid lyrics they don't have to try and understand.

It just seems that the mainstream music is only made by artists who want more money. I think the popular music should be music with meaning, good singing, good tunes and the artists behind the music should be people who are passionate and create music because they purely enjoy making music. I simply think that the music outside the charts is better than the music in the charts.

What sort of music do you listen to? Also, what is your opinion on the music in the charts? Let me know in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. I like Justin Timberlake's new song, but apart from that I'm not a big fan of what's currently popular. Especially the endless remixes of songs that were just fine before they were remixed. I mean, you've probably heard Mike Posner's I Took A Pill in Ibiza. The original version had an actual message. He wrote that song with a purpose, but the remix misses some of the most important lyrics. It just makes me sad.
    At the moment I mostly listen to songs I liked when I was 15 or German songs. Those are usually not as repetitive and have a wanderlust theme to them. Way better than the endless stream of songs about sex.

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post!
      Yes I have heard 'I took a pill in Ibiza' too many times I think. I agree with you there about some remixes. It's good to know I'm not the only one that is fed up with the endless stream of songs about sex!
      Also, I very much like your blog- you have gained a new follower :)

      Delete
    2. I also dont really like some of the songs because sometimes the meaning of the song is complete crap. I like the beats of the songs but the lyrics are kind of a turn off but that's just my oppinion.

      Delete