Saturday, 18 June 2016

Distractions Everywhere

Phones... laptops... TV... ring... ring...beep...beep...beep.

There's just so much going on in this modern world. Everywhere we look there is a distraction. Everywhere we go there are people glued to their phones, not looking at the world around them but instead looking at a tiny screen. It's simply astonishing that technology has come so far that it almost takes over our lives.

For many people, the first thing they do when they wake up is reach for their phones, maybe check to see if there are any new emails, see if any messages have come through from Facebook etc. So it's first thing in the morning and they've already glued their eyes to a screen instead of appreciating the beauty of the morning they have just woken up to. First thing in the morning and we are thrown straight into the chaotic, busy and quite frankly complicated modern world. 

But technology has it's benefits and it's not just a distraction. It can be extremely helpful in every day life, connect people and provide a source of leisure and entertainment. Technology also certainly allows us to learn more and see what is going on in the world around us. But I think it's a bit ironic that we are watching the world go on around us on a screen rather than actually seeing it go on around us. 

I know that many of my friends wouldn't survive a day without their phones. One of my friends is always asking if anyone has a phone charger, always messaging someone, switching between real and electronic conversations. Thinking about it, I probably could only just about survive a day without my phone but I would most probably be thinking 'what am I missing?', 'is anyone trying to message me?' etc. As an experiment, I may try and go a complete day without my phone so I will perhaps let you know how that goes in a later post. 

Could you live without your mobile phone?

But it's not just phones! There are also the distractions of TV. It's just a bigger phone really isn't it? (except it only provides entertainment). It's just there, most of the time on, making sound and noise whilst you go about your life. I probably sound like some real miserable person saying all this. But I'm not really! I am just trying to say that technology can be a major distraction in this world. We tend to go about our lives, not really living in the moment and not seeing the true world around us. 

Why do we always check our social media? We don't need to. Does it really matter if we know what our friends are up to this evening? It's just a distraction in our lives. I'm not saying that all technology is bad because it's not. It is actually a very good thing in some cases and it does in some ways improve quality of life... I know I would miss it if it was gone. But I wouldn't miss the distractions that come with it.

The real truth is that we can't escape these distractions. Technology is all around us and it will always be beeping. We just need to learn to sometimes take a step back, look at the world around us through our own eyes and get on with our lives without these technological drawbacks. 

5 comments:

  1. Cool blog! :) This post makes me think that I go on my phone too much... so I might try and go on it less now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and that's great! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ej,
    That is a really good post, I love this thinking and writing the truth about our 'modern life'. I could live without my phone more than oneday. Not long ago my smartphone hast to go to reperature and that takes more than one week. It's possible for a certain time but I'm not sure if that works for longer. We are like you said glued to our smartphones.
    Love, Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea,
      Thank you for reading my blog. I'm very glad you like this post and my whole blog idea! It really is amazing and actually quite scary how most people can't go a day without their phone. I'm glad you commented, it's nice to know people are actually reading my blog!
      EJ

      Delete
  3. Very nice insight on this! I will shamefully admit that sometimes when I wake up, the first thing I do is check my phone. It's a habit that I'm trying to break. I think a lot of things are fine within moderation. Can I live without my phone? Probably, but why would I? There's so many benefits of modern technology. Being able to connect with people around the world being one of them. People should just use it wisely :)

    Kathlyn | Kathlyn's Korner

    ReplyDelete